1 superior development of one side of the body [syn: laterality]
2 the state that exists when one person or group has power over another; "her apparent dominance of her husband was really her attempt to make him pay attention to her" [syn: ascendance, ascendence, ascendancy, ascendency, control]
3 the power or right to give orders or make decisions; "he has the authority to issue warrants"; "deputies are given authorization to make arrests" [syn: authority, authorization, authorisation, say-so]
- The state of being dominant; of prime importance; supremacy.
- Being in a position of power, authority or ascendancy over others.
- The superior development or preference for one side of the body or of one of a pair of organs; such as being right-handed.
- The property of a gene such that it supresses the expression of its allele.
state of being dominant; of prime importance; supremacy
The term Dominance may refer to:
- Dominance (ethology), in biology and anthropology, the state of having high social status relative to other individuals
- Dominance relationship, in genetics, a specific relationship between the effects of different versions of a gene
- Dominance (economics), in economics, the degree of inequality in market share distribution
- Dominance (game theory), in game theory, when one strategy is better for one opponent regardless of the other opponent's strategy
- Dominance hierarchy or social hierarchy is an organizational form by which individuals within a community control the distribution of resources within the community.
- Ocular dominance, for when one eye is preferred over the other
- Dominance and submission, set of behaviors, customs, and rituals in an erotic or lifestyle context
- Dominance (C++), an aspect of virtual inheritance in the C++ programming language
- Dominance (purchasing) The BT @ DS, a raw yet polished purveyor of massive cost control with an uncanny ability to crush supplier willpower and spirit- all the while building deep and vast business relationships. A true renaissance man, yet surprisingly relatable, BT has been known to dominate in many facets... including, but not limited to, online forums, futbol, fistfights, negotiations, and cake eating
dominance in Danish: Dominans
dominance in German: Dominanz
ascendance, ascendancy, authority, balance of power, charisma, charm, clout, consequence, control, credit, dominancy, domination, dominion, effect, eminence, eminent domain, enchantment, esteem, favor, force, good feeling, hold, importance, incidental power, influence, influentiality, insinuation, leadership, leverage, magnetism, masterdom, mastery, moment, overlordship, personality, persuasion, potency, power, predominance, predominancy, predomination, preeminence, preponderance, prepotence, prepotency, pressure, prestige, primacy, principality, purchase, reign, repute, rule, say, sovereignty, suasion, subtle influence, suggestion, superiority, supremacy, suzerainship, suzerainty, sway, upper hand, weight, whip hand